Recruitment and Selection Toolkit
The purposes of the Recruitment and Selection Toolkit is to assist hiring authorities and staff in effectively:
- Thinking strategically and comprehensively about the recruitment and selection of staff;
- Learning more about how to apply the most effective practices in recruitment and selection of staff as part of educator effectiveness strategies;
- Identifying immediate actions that can be taken; and
- Using and/or adapting tools and templates that are aligned with the TKES/LKES
Diversity Task-Force Committee Focused Strategies:
- Identify demographics in the application process to assist supervisors with being more intentional with recruiting minority candidates.
- Increasing the number of minority teachers requires intentional preparation and interviewing all possible candidates. Many programs and initiatives across the country provide evidence that an intentional and sustained approach to recruiting and retaining minority teachers can build a diverse and stable teacher workforce.
- Post anticipated positions early to increase the pool of applicants and to help better communicate potential openings.
- Research suggests that more in-demand minority candidates may be available for hire earlier in the year. We will shift the hiring timeline earlier to allow greater time to undertake targeted recruitment to fill vacancies. We will ask staff to submit a “Statement of Intent” by January 18th and begin posting positions early in anticipation of expected vacancies.
- Continue with the “Grow your Own” preparation model through the Teaching as a Profession Program at Morgan County High School.
- “Grow your Own” preparation models can support high school students to pursue teaching degrees and teach in their own community, helping to build the pipeline of well-prepared teachers in our school systems. We will also continue to identify promising paraprofessionals and work with them to meet the requirements of becoming certified teachers.
- Host a Career Fair for the School System
- We will host a career fair early in the hiring season to streamline applications and to help recruit minority candidates. The fair is scheduled to be held on January 24th .
- Additional Strategies:
- Partner with local teacher preparation programs to coordinate student teaching placements and to recruit candidates for hire before they graduate.
- Include minority staff members in the hiring process by creating diverse hiring committees at each school.
- Continue to attend recruitment fairs with an intentional focus on recruiting minority candidates.
- Recruitment and Selection Guide
- Job Description Template